Thursday, December 19, 2013

Forest Spirit

Their faces glowed by the crackling fire. Around them was the dark forest. Sitting around the fire were a small girl of about twelve, a man in his forties and the old watchman. Looking at the cozy threesome from the swing a few feet away, she felt a pang of envy.

The watchman was saying, "Sometimes tigers come here and snoop around."The middle-aged remarked, "I wish one would come out now. I would like to see a tiger."

"Dad, don't say that," complained the girl. "I am afraid of tigers."

"Don't worry," assured the watchman. "Even if one comes, it will just go on its way."

"Yes, Sabrina, don't be afraid," added her father. Listening to them and especially listening to the father, she laughed mirthlessly. He was the sort to display bravado, but she knew well that he was a coward at heart. She had known him long enough to have recognized his shortcomings. After all, she had been married to him for ten years.

"I wish Mummy were here," she heard her daughter say. "Hush dear," the father said softly. "She’s always with us. She's in our hearts."

"You know Hari," said the father to the watchman, "I was here with my wife on this exact day ten years ago.”

"I think I remember Sir," said Hari. "Madam was so beautiful. "Just then the swing gave a small creak as it swayed gently. Hari gave it a startled glance. “It’s only the wind,” said the man. “Relax.”

 “I do wish we had more guests in the resort. There’s only the two of you tonight. Feels kind of lonely.” He cleared his throat nervously. “Why, you seem scared,” remarked Sabrina. “Well, Missy,” the watchman said. “ Actually this forest also has a spirit, you see.”

“You are joking,” said the father.

“I don’t want to scare you,” the watchman said. “But every year on this night I have heard a woman’s screams near the deep ravine. We might hear her screaming tonight.” Sitting on the swing, she was tempted to do just that, but she knew she wouldn’t. Not tonight. She had other plans. It was ten long years since she had seen her husband. Tonight would be the night of redemption. Tonight surely she would be liberated from her imprisonment in this useless world.

 “You are frightening us,” the man said.  “Whose spirit is it?’ Sabrina whispered. Hari cast a sideways glance at the father, “I think it must be of some woman who met an unfortunate end.”

“Stop it,” said the man. “Come Sabrina, let’s go to our cabin.” As they rose, the swing gave a louder creak. The air was still. The man hurried off, holding his daughter’s hand tightly. The watchman too made haste to his small outpost at the gate.  In their room the windows were shut tight. Sabrina dozed off immediately but her father tossed and turned. “I made a mistake coming here again,” the thought went through his mind.

A chill went through the room. Switching on the bed lamp he looked around. One window was open. He got up and closed it. Back in bed, just as he was closing his eyes, another chill went through the room. He looked up again and to his consternation saw that both the windows were open. His heart started to beat faster, but he got up and shut them. As he was getting into bed again, he noticed that his daughter seemed to be unnaturally still, even in sleep. He felt her forehead. It was as cold as marble. Panicking, he felt for her pulse. He couldn’t detect any. She seemed to have turned into a lifeless mass of ice-cold flesh. He shook her hard, “Get up Sabrina. Get up!” There was no response.

The room was icy now. Suddenly he heard shrill laughter from a corner. He didn’t see anyone. But he knew it was her. He was sure. “Please, Rukmini, please,” he begged hoarsely. “She is innocent.” The shrill laugh stopped and a sob escaped her throat. She didn’t want her daughter’s life to end, but this would be the best punishment for her murderous husband. She had seen throughout that evening how he much he loved his daughter. “Punish me, I deserve it,” her husband repeated, “But please spare our daughter.”

She sobbed and laughed hysterically at the same time. This was good. He was suffering. Just as he had made her suffer on that fateful night ten years ago. She remembered it clearly. Up near the ravine, where he had taken her, promising a breathtaking moment of romance, she had hardly had any time to catch her breath before she found herself being pushed over the edge. She had plummeted down the three hundred foot ravine screaming all the time. “Why did you murder me?’ she shrieked. “I still don’t know why I was killed.” The man fell down on his knees. Tears started to fall freely from his eyes. “I fell in love with a younger girl,” he confessed bitterly. “She gave me an ultimatum to marry her immediately.”

“Is that why you murdered me?” his wife shrieked incredulously. “We could have divorced. I didn’t have to end my life so soon. I cannot forgive you.”

“No, Rukmini. Please,” he cried. “I didn’t know what I was doing. That girl had cast a spell on me. And you wouldn’t have left me so easily.”

“Did you marry her then? After you murdered me?’ she asked scornfully. She didn’t know. How could she? She was doomed to stay in this forest until she had been avenged. That was how things were from time immemorial. “She chose a younger man,” the man ‘s voice was small. “Then I died for nothing,” she exclaimed. “Rukmini, I have already been punished. I loved her. I lost her,” the man said. “Not enough, Amber, not enough,” she whispered. “Rukmini, kill me. But please bring back Sabrina,” he sobbed again.

She knew that he must have suffered. He was the emotional type, one who would love passionately. And kill for it. Lost love must have broken his heart. He had aged. His hair was white. His shoulders were stooped. He did seem to be redeeming himself by putting all his love on their daughter. And something must have caused him to visit this resort again on the same day he had murdered her long ago.

“Why did you come here,” she asked. “To redeem myself?” he replied. “ I felt enormously guilty for a long time but didn’t have the courage to come here again. Now that I’m here and met you, I pray that you forgive me.” She looked into his eyes. She saw repentance. She saw fear and suffering. His tribulations had already avenged her. “I will forgive you,” she said at last. “But if you look at another girl again, I’ll be back. And I’ll make sure you lose that which you hold dearest.”

“Thank you,” Amber said humbly. He heard a gasp. He rushed over to his daughter’s side. “Daddy, it’s so cold,” she said. He hugged her, “ Go back to sleep dear. Its all right now.” The next morning as they climbed into their jeep for the drive home, the guard came over. “Well Sir, Missy,” greeted Hari. “ I hope you enjoyed your stay.” Then looking at the father, “I hope Sir you found what you came for.”


“Yes, thank you,” replied the man. “I did.” As the car started to roll forward, Hari called after them, “By the way Sir, there was no screaming last night. I think the spirit has found rest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment